Subject: Re: Bulding the aperture driver
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F6rn_Jemader?= <thoan@ifm.liu.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2000 22:35:42
On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 03:23:29PM +0100, Thorbjörn Jemader wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've just installed NetBSD 1.4.1 and would like to
> have X running. I've studied the docs and edited
> the configs to the best of my knowledge and it
> doesn't work. (... :0.0 broken...).
>
> When I do (as told in docs to capture the error output):
>
> startx >& ~/x.log

Is your shell sh-like or csh-like ?
This symtax if for csh-like shells.

> sh complains about bad file descriptor, and any
> other redirection attempts (including 2>) produces
> an empty x.log. So I can't figure out what the error is.
>
> I read that some graphics cards use the linear memory
> mapping (via dev/mem) and therefore need the aperture driver,
> so I've (rebooted and) got that and tried to build
> it. I discovered that the kernel source was not
> in (/sys, right?) the distro, so I figured I needed it.
> I found out that it was cvs'd, so I (rebooted and)
> dl'd cvs from the site and installed it.
>
> Before I (read a lot of doc and) set up the network
> (and spend some more days figuring everything out
> on how to dl and building the kernel and all that),
> do I *have* to go through this procedure to get X working:
>
> -> Get the kernel source
> -> Set the option flags for the X support
> -> Build the kernel
> -> Build the aperture driver
> -> Make the system recognize ap.
> -> reboot and startx....
>
> or is there a simpler way? (except being in
> single user mode or lowering the kernel security
> level.)
>
> Secondly, I really would like to have tab completion
> in the shell, and I though csh and ksh would have
> that automatically, but I can't get it to work.
> I've tried set -X vi and set -X vi-tabcompletion
> (approximately - whatever the man pages said)
> with no luck. Any clues?

Install one of the common shells from packages
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.4.1/). You can get bash, tcsh,
or zsh from here (and probably a few others). Pick the one you prefer :)
(hit: use pkg_add(8) to install the .tgz file).

> Thirdly: Is the reason for not having emacs in the
> 1.4.1 release a matter of GNU vs BSD licensing or what?
> (vi and I have had out arguments...)

Bloat, among others. vi is the standart unix editor, you can get the
emacs or xemacs package from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.4.1/

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>