Subject: Re: Bulding the aperture driver
To: Thorbj=F6rn_Jemader <thoan@ifm.liu.se>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2000 14:07:10
Re. getting system source and building a custom kernel, see the first few
questions on the following web page:

   http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/

(NOTE that if you used CVS to grab kernel sources, you may have sources to
-current.  But the system that you _installed_ is probably a release (1.4
or 1.4.1) or maybe an alpha release of 1.4.2.  I gather that there are
some serious issues to overcome if you try to do a build-and-reboot
upgrade from 1.4.x to -current)

Since you use the non-word ``distro'' to refer to a NetBSD release, I
assume that you come from a LINUX background.  Keep your eyes open for
differences.

You might also say which graphics card you have.  Someone on here may have
the same, or a similar, card.

Re. tab completion, that is a shell-dependant feature.  In csh, you can
get file completion with the <ESC> key and can of course use ~-based
references to get at user home directories.

I don't think that you need to set any special shell/environment variables
to get this.  But, if you want some shell other than csh or ksh, you can
install others fairly easily.  When you feel like it, type:

 cd /usr/pkgsrc/shells/bash2
 make install

Sources will be fetched, tailored, and compiled for you.  Binaries will be
installed, and the working directories will be deleted.

(In place of bash2, substitute whatever other shells you want.  You will
also either need to be logged in as root, or else you'll need to install &
use ``sudo'' (/usr/pkgsrc/security/sudo).

(FWIW, I use csh for everything, presently.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com