Subject: Bulding the aperture driver
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thorbj=F6rn_Jemader <thoan@ifm.liu.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2000 15:23:29
Hi.

I've just installed NetBSD 1.4.1 and would like to
have X running. I've studied the docs and edited
the configs to the best of my knowledge and it
doesn't work. (... :0.0 broken...).

When I do (as told in docs to capture the error output):

startx >& ~/x.log

sh complains about bad file descriptor, and any
other redirection attempts (including 2>) produces
an empty x.log. So I can't figure out what the error is.

I read that some graphics cards use the linear memory
mapping (via dev/mem) and therefore need the aperture driver,
so I've (rebooted and) got that and tried to build
it. I discovered that the kernel source was not
in (/sys, right?) the distro, so I figured I needed it.
I found out that it was cvs'd, so I (rebooted and)
dl'd cvs from the site and installed it.

Before I (read a lot of doc and) set up the network
(and spend some more days figuring everything out
on how to dl and building the kernel and all that),
do I *have* to go through this procedure to get X working:

-> Get the kernel source
-> Set the option flags for the X support
-> Build the kernel
-> Build the aperture driver
-> Make the system recognize ap.
-> reboot and startx....

or is there a simpler way? (except being in
single user mode or lowering the kernel security
level.)

Secondly, I really would like to have tab completion
in the shell, and I though csh and ksh would have
that automatically, but I can't get it to work.
I've tried set -X vi and set -X vi-tabcompletion
(approximately - whatever the man pages said)
with no luck. Any clues?

Thirdly: Is the reason for not having emacs in the
1.4.1 release a matter of GNU vs BSD licensing or what?
(vi and I have had out arguments...)

If anyone would assist the newbie, I would be
very grateful. Thanks,

Thorbj=F6rn Jemander