Subject: install problems, freeze while uncompressing kern.tgz
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Peters <tim@smug.adelaide.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2000 15:13:09
Hello,

I've been trying to install NetBSD 1.4.1 on an old otherwise
unused 386, to have a look at it. The machine has 8M of ram, and
two hard disks, the second of which has an msdos filesystem and
{base,etc,kern}.tgz. I'm using the 1.2M boot-tiny.fs boot image.

The install procedure seems to go fine until it starts to
uncompress the kern.tgz file, after which the system freezes.

Thinking this was perhaps due to a shortage of memory, I have
tried installing the files from the shell instead of from
sysinst, and used "swapctl -a /dev/wd0b" to add swap space before
uncompressing. This didn't work; still when uncompressing the
tgz's, it freezes after one or two files.

I can *list* the packages fine, so I know they're ok.

The only other clue that might be relevant is that after booting
I get a few messages of the form: "warning: stray interrupt 7",
and then "Logging stopped.".

So, can anyone offer some advice for these problems? Otherwise I
might have to reinstall Linux on the machine :-)

Thanks,

Tim Peters <tim@smug.adelaide.edu.au>