Subject: Re: 1) howto install on a scsi hdd, 2) howto reconfigure nic
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/2000 01:21:13
On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 07:00:47PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> You're pulling my leg, right?  (Works fine for FreeBSD -- ahc0.)

There is some history behind this.. bottom line is, that we used to share
that driver with FreeBSD, and it was maintained by one person. Then
the SCSI subsystem of FreeBSD went into another direction as we
did, and later support for the 789x chips was added to FreeBSD.
But this code wasn't immediately applicable anymore. It's now
being ported to NetBSD again. It took a while for other reasons..
anyway, I hope it will be available before the end of the month,
and will be included in the next release (1.5).

> I'm very new to the "regular" i386 port.  Perhaps only the NEC PC98 port
> (see, e.g., http://www.nisoc.or.jp/~karl/netbsd-pc98/) has this feature?
> If it isn't in the mainstream NetBSD, it sure should be.  It's great.

Hopefully the pc98 port, which has existed for a long time, will be
integrated after NetBSD 1.5 is out.

- Frank