Subject: Re: 1) howto install on a scsi hdd, 2) howto reconfigure nic
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/2000 03:45:56
In message <200002051000.TAA09685@ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>, Henry Nelson wri
tes:
>> >ide before), but boot.fs doesn't seem to find, or even probe for, the
>> >scsi adapter card, Adaptec 2940U2W.

>> None of the 789x's are supported yet, sorry.  :(  At least, not that I know

>You're pulling my leg, right?  (Works fine for FreeBSD -- ahc0.)

No.  I know it's supported in FreeBSD, and also in BSD/OS, but they're using
different driver trees.

FWIW, I work in BSDI's support department, and the U2W is a *ROYAL* pain,
in my experience.  I've had more people need to swap cables with that card...

>I'm very new to the "regular" i386 port.  Perhaps only the NEC PC98 port
>(see, e.g., http://www.nisoc.or.jp/~karl/netbsd-pc98/) has this feature?
>If it isn't in the mainstream NetBSD, it sure should be.  It's great.

Haven't seen it.

>Anyway, is there some way to configure devices, especially irq and i/o port,
>during first-time boot up?

Not that I'm aware of; they just pick themselves.

BSD/OS has this feature, and a way to put the tweaks you want in a plain
text file read by the bootstrap.  I would love it.

-s