Subject: Re: vi
To: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/04/2000 08:29:48
Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it writes:
> Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> > ... This is as compared to using nvi, which is really
> > very close to real vi (except for the lack of 'open mode').  A lot of
> > work was put into making it bug compatible.
>
> Which implementation can today be considered the  "real" vi, the one
> that sets the standard for compatibility?

that's a hard question.  i typically go for vendor-os vi
implementations for examples, but picking one would be hard since they
all do change slightly over time, i'm sure.  (of course, i hope
vendors aren't putting much effort into their vi implementations.  8-)
With the exception of open mode, i'd say that nvi is close enough to
"the real vi" that it can probabably be substituted.  If you wanted a
'canonical reference,' i'd probably say vi from sunos 4.x or even 3.x,
but it's getting harder to find and run those bits these days.  8-)

cgd