Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a system that has LILO
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/04/2000 08:15:19
At 04:29 PM 2/4/00 +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
>According to Paul Hoffman:
> >
> >Why didn't the first installs overwrite LILO or what was left of it after
> >"lilo -u"?
>
>Because, unlike some commercial pseudo-OS's we could name, NetBSD does
>not assume that it is the only thing installed on the box.  In this
>context, byte blasting a previous boot manager is rude.

This is exactly my point. In the installation, I told the installer "this
is the only OS on the disk". Therefore, I would have hoped that it would
use that knowledge and choose to do a 'fdisk -i <thisdisk>', but it didn't.

I'm not advocating that we always wipe out LILO, but if the user says "the
disk is yours", and we know that LILO won't be able to do anything useful
after that point, I think the NetBSD installer should make the hard disk
bootable into NetBSD.