Subject: Installing NetBSD on a system that has LILO
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/2000 14:03:24
Greetings. I've just been through a bit of hell trying to install NetBSD on
a previous Linux system. Even though I told the NetBSD installer that I
wanted the whole disk for NetBSD, the NetBSD installer didn't wipe out
Linux's LILO, so the reboot after installation went into LILO, which of
course failed as it tried to boot. So I rebooted Linux from floppy and did
"lilo -u" to unload it. I reinstalled NetBSD, and still no luck. This time,
it just said "LI" and froze.

After a bit of consultation, I was told that:
disklabel -W wd0
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0d bs=1024 count=10
would wipe out what was left from LILO, and it did. The next NetBSD install
went fine.

Why didn't the first installs overwrite LILO or what was left of it after
"lilo -u"? Can this be fixed for future NetBSD releases?

--Paul Hoffman