Subject: Re: http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/isa.html
To: None <vinosus@vengeance.et.tudelft.nl>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2000 21:21:56
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 vinosus@vengeance.et.tudelft.nl wrote:

> hello,
>
> i'm trying to net-install netbsd-1.4.1 on a small p75 (compaq).
> being a net-install, i need a network card, an intel etherexpress/16 in my
> case.
>
> the install-notes for 1.4.1 say it should use 'ie0' or 'ie1' but the
> hardware list talks about 'ix0'.
> the install floppy recognizes it as an ix0 but then spams '$BIGNUM
> spurious interrupts'.
> (the device was configured at 0x360 with irq 0x10 and memory address 0xD000)
> since this is my first attempt at netbsd, this doen't make me very happy.
>
> i would really like to know why this is happening, and how to prevent it.
>
> any help (apart from 'buy a new nic') would be appreciated.

It looks like for the ether express/16, the INSTALL kernel is set to:
ix0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10               # EtherExpress/16

so you'll want to set up the card this way.

This was from /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/INSTALL.  Which although you
don't have since you didn't install yet, can found on the web as well via
the cvs-web interface.

Hope this helps
-Dan