Subject: Re: Modem and pppd setup
To: Kevin McCarthy , Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/1999 10:56:29
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Kevin McCarthy wrote:

> Is this also the proper way of adding a network device.  My ethernet card is
> on De0.  When I do ifconfig I get the following
> "ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS De0: Device not configured"

Try "ifconfig de0 _ipaddr_"
              ^
Case is significant!

> I checked /dev and I don't have an entry for 'De0'.  I tried to MAKDEV De0,
> but apparently I don't have the MAKDVE program.  I did try this as root.

Below should be more like "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV tty2". You get an extra
"zero" for free--"MAKEDEV tty02" makes tty002--go figure, but since
1.4 or 1.4.1, tty2=tty02 is made by default anyway.

You can't make a special device for "de0" at all. Rather, the driver
has to autoconfigure at boot time. If "dmesg | grep ^de0" gives you a
couple of lines, then "ifconfig de0 ..." is the right command.