Subject: Re: GNU binutils 2.9.1 (was gcc-2.95.2 gcj)
To: Anders Dinsen <anders@dinsen.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/1999 10:44:01
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Anders Dinsen wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Anders Dinsen wrote:
> >
> > > Still trying to get gcj running: It seems (from FAQ and bug reports) that
> > > it requires the newest version of GNU ld (theres actually a bug reported
> > > very similar to mine), so I am trying to compile GNU binutil 2.9.1. It
> > > will not, however!
> >
> > You might try the cross/binutils package. That will get you gnu ld,
> > at least.
>
> Thanks! It builds - if I specify EXTRACT_USING_PAX=yes to make! If not,
> tar complains that it cannot open '-X' and that it cannot open the exclude
> file either. Is this a bug?

I thought I fixed that. Do you have bsd.pkg.mk version 1.345 or later?
It works for me with today's bsd.pkg.mk and binutils/Makefile.

> I could'nt spot it however (how do you force
> make to print the commands it is executing? -dA does not).

"make clean && make -n do-extract" will show you what's wrong with the
"tar" command. I forget, exactly, but I know I made a minor change to
bsd.pkg.mk to use the "new" syntax, and now it works.

> I'm running 1.4.1 with pkgsrc from the distribution.

Ah... I'd recommend updating your pkgsrc. The current pkgsrc fully
supports 1.4.1. (The latest binutils is actually 2.9.1.1, which I
think is taken to mean Gnu binutils 2.9.1 + NetBSD mods 0.0.0.1.) See
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html#setting_up_pkgsrc>,
especially the subtitile "AnonCVS". It should be possible to check out
over your existing tree more-or-less efficiently. Try

  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
  cd /usr/pkgsrc; cvs update -A -P -d >/var/tmp/cvs.log

  Login: anoncvs

It's also possible to use "ssh" rather than pserver, as explained on
the webpage.

When you do update pkgsrc, you'll be prompted to upgrade
pkgtools/pkg_install, too, but that goes quickly.

> > > ... still hoping that an expert will see this after newyear!
> >
> > Maybe none of the experts use java...
> > :/
>
> No, maybe they are'nt! ;-) It *is* an interesting tool though, gcj.

Is gcj supposed to build on all platforms? The existing alternatives
have problems on m68k and others. If gcj works at all, a package is
called for, and if you submit one, then you get to be the expert. ;-)