Subject: Re: Generic Question re wscons
To: wulf@ping.net.au, netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James Tuman Nelson <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/1999 00:08:07
I have followed the directions given below, which are the same as those in the
FAQ, but have yet succeeded in getting virtual terminal emulation.  I have not
been able to 'ctl alt F2' and receive a login prompt.  Am I supposed to?  So,
what is the trick?  Is there a sysctl variable to set?

When booting, I get the following messages:
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device busy
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device not configured
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device not configured
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device not configured
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device not configured

followed by:
Dec 30 15:40:51 jtnhome getty [4445] /dev/ttyE3: Device not configured
Dec 30 15:40:51 jtnhome getty [4443] /dev/ttyE1: Device not configured
Dec 30 15:40:51 jtnhome getty [4444] /dev/ttyE2: Device not configured

I can eliminate the "wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device busy" message by
commenting out the reference to ttyE0 in wscons.conf, as indicated in the FAQ.
 The four occurences of "wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: device not
configured" remain.

I am running NetBSD-1.4.1 on a Pentium i386 machine, and successfully log in
on ttyE0.  I have been running wscons under X to facilitate its performance.
Except for virtual terminal emulation, everything seems to work.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Nelson