Subject: Re: Networking NetBSD and Windows
To: Kevin McCarthy <klmhq@ih2000.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/30/1999 11:49:52
Kevin McCarthy wrote
> OK, here's the situation:
>     I have a windows98 machine that I want to network with my NetBSD
> box.  The NetBSD box will become the connection to my ISP.  Now the ISP
> uses dynamic addressing.
>
>     I'm thinking that I set-up my Windows box with a fixed number
> (10.10.10.2) and the NetBSD box will have two numbers:  the Ethernet
> card will have a number (10.10.10.1) and the modem will have whatever is
> assigned by the ISP.
>
>     I put both of the numbers in /etc/hosts with their network name.
> Does the name in NetBSD have to match the identification under windows?
>
>     Does pppd handle the dynamic number automatically?

Yes it will, just don't enter a ip-address for the local and remote
end of your modem connection. See an below

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f <chat_script>' /dev/ttyC0 115200 crtscts asyncmap 0 modem name <name> defaultroute :

As you can see there are no ip-addresses left and right of the ':'
character which means that they will be dynamically allocated, this is the
ip-address of the remote end of the link and the local ppp interface.

Configure the 'gateway' option on all other workstations and servers
to point to the ethernet address of your NetBSD box. Make sure that
ip forwarding is enabled on this machine and it would be wise to setup
a firewall using a combination of ipf and nat.

dingo# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1

You can set it by issuing the following command as root user:

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

>     I've got (and read) the networking FAQ, but it doesn't go into a lot
> of specifics.  I am on the right track?

Have a look at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/
http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/NetBSD/NWF/

I found them very helpful

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes