Subject: Networking NetBSD and Windows
To: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McCarthy <klmhq@ih2000.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/1999 16:00:52
OK, here's the situation:
    I have a windows98 machine that I want to network with my NetBSD
box.  The NetBSD box will become the connection to my ISP.  Now the ISP
uses dynamic addressing.

    I'm thinking that I set-up my Windows box with a fixed number
(10.10.10.2) and the NetBSD box will have two numbers:  the Ethernet
card will have a number (10.10.10.1) and the modem will have whatever is
assigned by the ISP.

    I put both of the numbers in /etc/hosts with their network name.
Does the name in NetBSD have to match the identification under windows?

    Does pppd handle the dynamic number automatically?

    I've got (and read) the networking FAQ, but it doesn't go into a lot
of specifics.  I am on the right track?

    Kevin

P.S. Does anyone want a Sun 3/80?  I've got one that I bought from NASA,
however, I couldn't get a Sun monitor.