Subject: Modem and pppd setup
To: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McCarthy <klmhq@ih2000.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/24/1999 10:32:27
Thanks for the help on the fragmentation info.  I knew what it was, but
I'm coming from a Windows environment and it's not at all as benign as
it appears to be in UNIX.

Now for the hard stuff.  I am trying to get my modem set-up to call my
ISP and connect to the internet.  A friend (who is a Linux expert) came
over and helped with a bunch of stuff (including basic UNIX training),
but we were unable to get the modem working.  I have a 56.6k modem that
is fully jumpered (no Winmodem stuff).

We set-up a symlink from /dev/com2 to /dev/modem.

Then we set-up these chat and connect scripts.  Since he's never worked
with a BSD based UNIX, we pretty much copied the scripts directly from
the NetBSD help pages and inserted the proper information where we
could.

My ISP is ih2000.net.  My internal network will be set-up as 10.10.10.1
- 3 (when I get that part working).

We also created a pap-secrets file for the username and password.

Now, when I try to 'pppd call ih2000' nothing happens.  No modem dialing
or anything.  The box displays some information showing the pid number
of the pppd and that it's trying to connect.

Also, how do I disconnect once I do get connected.  I didn't see
anything that would help out there.

Thanks for all the help.  Merry Christmas.

Kev

These are the scripts:

/etc/ppp/peers/ih2000
        #pppd setup
        #klmhq.org connect to ih2000.net
        /dev/tty00
        10.10.10.1:204.255.120.1
        connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -v /etc/ppp/peers/ih2000.chat'
        defaulteroute
        persist
        ipparam ih2000
        asyncmap 0
        noauth

/etc/ppp/options.com2
        #pppd options
        lock
        crtscts
        57600
        modem

/etc/ppp/peers/ih2000.chat
        #Chat file
        ABORT BUSY ABOT 'NO CARRIER' ""
        \da\ptz0 OK
        \da\ptdt{ih2000's phone number here} CONNECT