Subject: Re: gnumeric
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@idle.trapdoor.vip.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/23/1999 08:25:32
Richard Rauch wrote:

> I cannot see that gtk_object_get() is ever prototyped,

  From my /usr/X11R6/gtk/gtkobject.h:

/* gtk_object_get() sets the variable values pointed to by the adresses
 * passed after the argument names according to the arguments value.
 * if GTK_FUNDAMENTAL_TYPE (arg->type) == GTK_TYPE_STRING, it's
 * the callers response to do a g_free (retrived_value);
 */
void    gtk_object_get          (GtkObject      *object,
                                 const gchar    *first_arg_name,
                                 ...);

> pkgsrc has recently been sup'ed by myself, and I believe that gtk was
> built just for a recent round of installs (gtk+-1.2.1, FWIW).

  Ugh, this is way old.  The current version of gtk+ in pkgsrc is 1.2.6,
and it works fine ...

> Is it just me or are GNOME and KDE starting to take on the
> properties of MS-WINDOWS?  (Large, full of features that you'll

  I can't speak for KDE (I haven't used it for quite some time now), but
GNOME is quite modular.  From your message I presume you have compiled
the complete 'gnome' package (in pkgsrc/x11).  While this is 'nice', it
contains almost every GNOME module from the package system (much more
than you probably need).  The package is intended to get you starting
with a complete set of applications.

  If you just want a basic GNOME, it is sufficient to just install the
'gnome-core' package.  In fact, if you just want to be able to run GNOME
programs, even just 'gnome-libs' is sufficient (you won't the the
desktop environment then, of course).

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene