Subject: gnumeric
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/1999 16:34:43
I've decided that it was time to try GNOME to see what's up with it, and
so I let the 'puter grab pkgsrc files off of the 'net.  There was a minor
hiccup or two, but it was going fairly smoothely until I got an unresolved
symbol in gnumeric.  Specifically, I believe that
widgets/widget-color-combo.c is using a non-existing function,
gtk_object_get().  (It compiled, but would not link.  The GTK info file
has a function index that mentions gtk_object_set()/..._setv(), and
gtk_object_getv().  I cannot see that gtk_object_get() is ever prototyped,
so I'm not sure how the code even compiled unless it turned compile-time
checking way down.)

pkgsrc has recently been sup'ed by myself, and I believe that gtk was
built just for a recent round of installs (gtk+-1.2.1, FWIW).

I see that we have a binary package for the i386 (at least), so SOMEONE
managed to compile this.  Was gtk_object_get() lost in a revision to gtk?
Or did whoever-compiled-it have a personal library with gtk_object_get()
to fill out the symmetry of gtk?

I'm picking up the gnumeric binary package as I write this, but it's
disturbing that the code seems to use a non-existing function.  It might
be safer to hack a *_get() of my own than to wait and see if gnumeric
crashes... (Of course, I'm only installing gnumeric because GNOME requires
it...so whether gnumeric crashes or not isn't a real concern of mine.
*grin*)

Has anyone else had trouble with building this?

(Along a similar line, I had to install gindent at one point.  _That_
package refused to patch.  It seemed that the patch was trying to apply to
``makefile.orig'' (no such file) and didn't exactly correspond to the
extant Makefile.orig.  I chose to do a binary pkg_add of that one rather
than try to sort the patch out by hand.)

Is it just me or are GNOME and KDE starting to take on the properties of
MS-WINDOWS?  (Large, full of features that you'll never use,
``integrated'' in the sense of lots of bits that have to be taken
altogether before you can use anything, and perhaps a concept of ``An
18-wheeler is a tricycle with 15 training wheels''.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com