Subject: lpd trouble
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Wallace <pcw@doober.mesanet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/1999 10:51:28
How come NetBSDs lpd wont allow input filters for remote printers?

	My situation is that I would like to be able to print Postscript
documents on a HP PCL (4si) printer with JetDirect card. This works fine
with FreeBSD using Ghostscript filter for the remote printer, but as the
NetBSD printcap manual says:

>FILTERS
>     If a printer is specified via lp (either local or remote), the
>lpd(8) daemon creates a pipeline of filters to process files for various
>printer types. The pipeline is not set up for remote printers specified
>via rm unless the local host is the same as the remote printer host
>given. The filters selected depend on the flags passed to lpr(1).

Peter Wallace