Subject: Root login configuration
To: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McCarthy <klmhq@ih2000.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/1999 08:12:45
As a fairly complete newbie to NetBSD, I'm probably going to buggin
y'all with lots of questions.  The first one so far is about the root
login sequence:

I wanted to have the root sequence automatically set-up the vt220
terminal so I used this from a previous mail:

>edit /root/.login, e.g.
>
> eval `tset -s -m 'vt.*:vt420 :vt220'`
>  stty crt
>  echo "You are now logged in as root."

Now I can get in as root without having to supply a terminal type and I
have full root permissions, but these lines appear:

/root: Permission denied.
No match.

Then the command prompt appears.

I tried removing the "stty crt" line.  I tried deleting the space
between "vt420" and ":vt220",   but neither of those had any effect what
so ever.

What are these lines saying, what do they mean, and how to I fix them.

Thanks
Kev