Subject: Re: Netatalk vs. Hp DeskWriter 560C
To: Paul Sander <paul@wakawaka.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/1999 13:00:26
At 5:29 Uhr +0100 05.12.1999, Paul Sander wrote:

>The problem I'm having is that after the file finishes printing, the
>connection to the printer appears to remain open.  I must interrupt pap to
>regain control of my shell.  The printer remains locked (after killing pap),
>and I am unable to print another file from either the NetBSD box or a regular
>Mac.  According to the HP PrintMonitor program on the Mac, the printer is
>busy printing.
>
>The connection eventually times out a few minutes after pap is killed, and
>the printer becomes available again.  The connection does not seem to time
>out while pap is running.

pap sucks...

From the nights that I spent on getting a QMS-PS 410 to work with netatalk
over a HW bridge ISTR that there is an option that lets pap not wait for
the goodbye kiss from the printer:

       -E     Do not wait for EOF from printer after spooling the
              job. Some printers forget to send EOF after receiv-
              ing large jobs.

-- during said nights, I sync'ed the pap man page with reality, so I cannot
tell if this is listed in the original manpage. I really should wrap up my
changes and submit them to asun...

It may definitely be worth while to sprinkle pap.c with printf()s and see
what it's doing. There is even a "-DEBUG" (as in "-D EBUG") switch that
means to trace pap execution.

	hauke