Subject: stuck here.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/03/1999 13:59:20
Hi,

First a description of what is going on and what happened.
I have a i386 computer with two ide harddisks.
I have on the second harddisk three partitions. The first two contain
freebsd and the last contains netbsd.
All were booting fine with the freebsd bootmanager (on the
second harddisk).
Yesterday i decided that a netbsd bootmanager on the second hd would be
nicer, cause i also
used a netbsd bootmanager on the first harddisk.
Installing the netbsd bootmanager on the second hd went fine.
But.... after rebooting....... freebsd didnt boot anymore.
It also doesnt boot anymore from floppy. I concluded that the bootloader
is broken or gone or something.
Now how is that possible after just installing the netbsd bootmanager on
the second hd?
Today i thought lets just use again the freebsd bootmanager again.
So i installed that one on the second harddisk.
AFter installing freebsd still doesnt boot (is logical according to what
is wrote)..... but......... also NetBsd doesnt boot anymore!!!
Okay..... the good thing is that i am able to boot netbsd still from
floppy and point out to wd1a:netbsd. That works fine and netbsd boots.
Finally i thought to put the netbsd bootmanager back on the second
harddisk to be able to boot netbsd properly.
However......... also the netbsd bootmanager cant boot netbsd anymore!
I reinstalled the netbsd bootmanager twice to make sue something was
wrong. I can type F3 to boot the netbsd (cause netbsd is on the third
partition, normally that is). But when i try it now i just see after
typing F3 "3" on the next line and nothing works....
Nothing is booted.
I dont know what to do anymore.
The only way to acces netbsd one the second hd is with the install flop.
From there it boots fine if you say: boot wd1a:netbsd
I really dont know what i can do to fix this.
Yes yes, i know i tryed to many things and many not very smart things....
But i dont understand..... cause i didnt destroy the partitions... they
are all there working fine... i just changed the mbr some times.
Can someone help me out here?
Bye,

Reinoud.