Subject: Re: accessing other partitions from 1.4.1/i386
To: Technolord <l.raiser@deathsdoor.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/1999 15:19:10
On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 01:18:58PM +0100, Technolord wrote:
> Hello.
> I just re-installed 1.4.1/i386 (X wasn't willing to work in any possible
> way, and some more) with repartitioning (460M for '/', 40M for swap). I
> installed from the netbsd CD I got from the net, and no errors were
> reported at all.
> Then (just after installation completion and no configuration file
> modified) I tried to read the other partitions with mbrlabel wd0 as
> root. After doing that, no other command did work at all: any issued
> command like {fdisk, disklabel, man, pwd} caused the return to the login
> prompt (!!!) with no apparent cause. One time it started giving me core
> dumps and "wrong parameter for <any_issued_command", one other time it
> went debug mode with some kind of consistency error, and anoter time it
> just crashed. I rebooted so many times I hardcy can count them.
> Any help would be VERY appreciated.

The problem is that running 'mbrlabel wd0' didn't add other partitions to the
in-kernel partitions table, it just remplaced the existing partition table
with a new one (only in kernel memory, not on disk, don't worry). So your
system partitions were not here any more (in fact mbrlabel can only be used
on a disk with no NetBSD partitions).

The only way you have here is to add partitions to the existing table
with 'disklanel -e' for your non-NetBSD partitions.