Subject: Re: Setting up my system
To: Wayne Burgess <wburgess@fun.org.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/1999 20:22:01
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Wayne Burgess wrote:

> My aim is to install samba, install a web server, connect my NT server box
> to it and learn Unix administration. So to start with I have installed
> netbsd, using the installation instruction from the BSD site. when I login
> as root (which I will change) it keep on asking me for my terminal how do I
> get it to store vt220 so it does not ask me every time I login.

edit /root/.login, e.g.

  eval `tset -s -m 'vt.*:vt420 :vt220'`
  stty crt
  echo "You are now logged in as root."

> Most of all how do I install packets that I have downloaded from the net.

  pkg_add package.tgz

See also the man pages for pkg_add(1) and tset(1).

If you didn't know this already, most of the NetBSD documentation and
FAQS are collected at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/index.html>, and there are
archives of the mailing lists (unfortunately not searchable) at
<http://www.netbsd.org/MailingLists/>.

Take care