Subject: Re: logging user logon.
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/1999 00:01:09
>I created an account for a user on my machine.
>But when he logs on, i am not notified with a message on my screen.
>Now, i looked in man syslog.conf, but i cant find any information on how
>to log users logon and display it immidiatly to my screen?
>For example, when use "bla" logs onto my machine, i want a message that
>user "bla" just logged on from <place>, of course when i am logged on as
>root that is, so the message should be send to root.
>Forgive my ignorance, but the logging facilities are not clearly
>documented in then sense of all possible options and howto and examples
>in my opinion, so i'll need so additional help here with it.
>Can someone give help on how to do this?
>If some one knows a good page where to look up the possible logging
>possiblilities and how-to's about it? Plz mail the url where i can find
>it. Forgive my ignorance.

you simply need to add a line of the form

   auth,authpriv.info                     <your username here>

to /etc/syslog.conf so that all (well, most) auth events and authinfo
events are sent to your ttys.  the syslog.conf man page covers
this...but probably doesn't explicitly say how to do exactly what you
want.  the info's there...you just need to read it several times to
see the light.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|