Subject: Re:Re: Resolver
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/19/1999 16:28:27
Hello,

please read my mail "IPNAT proplem" from 18.11.99.
Short:

I've alittle network at home. One host (NetBS box) is used as a Gateway with
a ppp - connection to my ISP. If  I try to telnet to this Gateway from my
FreeBSD box everytime the Gateway connects to the ISP. On the FreeBSD and
the NetBSD box I have the same /etc/resolv.conf which looks like:

lookup file bind
domain mydomain.de
nameserver 195.185.185.195
nameserver 194.162.141.17

I don't use a DNS server each host has in its /etc/hosts entries like this:

127.0.0.1    localhost
192.168.1.1    a21064.mydomain.de    a21064
192.168.1.6    k6v1fb.mydomain.de    k6v1fb

I would expect that the Gateway would look in its /etc/hosts first and if no
entry fit then it should connect to my ISP and ask then nameservers. Again -
I try to telnet from my FreeBSD host to my NetBSD box no telnet session will
be established but the link to my ISP via ppp is coming up. Why?

thanx,
Oliver