Subject: Re: pagedaemon panic
To: None <jimtnelson@earthlink.net>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/15/1999 00:22:49
> I get this error when running printing several graphics with gnuplot, using
> the apsfilter package, which involve generatign postscript files, and
> ghostscript output to the printer.
>
> I also got this crash when running a batch job and simultaneously compiling
> and linking a fortran code.
> I am running NetBSD-1.4.1/i386 on a 133 MHz Pentium with 16 Meg RAM and a
> Seagate 4Gig drive, with an Adaptec 2940UW.

Hmm, I've got a 333 mhz PPro (overdrive PII, yes, they make one for socket 8)
with a 2940UW on the motherboard, an IBM 2gig and seagate 4gig, and I get
occasional total freezes from 1.4.1/i386 -- always when using lots of memory,
apparently soon after things start to use swap (according to 'top').

For me it hits when running lots of CVS checkouts from other machines to the
repository on this machine (rsync'd NetBSD anoncvs) and also when viewing very
large TIFF scans with xv. And the last time I built a new 1.4.1 kernel in text
mode, I got a spurious segv in cc1.

Smells related to me. I suspect a subtle bug in UVM. I'm running a lightly
trimmed kernel on this guy so if there are good debugging ifdef's for this
sort of thing, I could enable them.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com