Subject: compat_freebsd help
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Phil C <pchampon@sefl.satelnet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/1999 15:21:50
I am now terribly confused, the man page for compat_freebsd ofcourse warns
that it could be outdated... But it says that you will need to have
complimentary libs for the kernel to be able to run FreeBSD apps. Ok, but I
have FreeBSD's 3.2 copy of ldd and FBSD's 3.2 copy of /usr/lib/libc.so.3, and
I have my NBSD 1.4.1 copy of /usr/lib/libc.so.12.40 and FBSD's ldd still
works. Now I also have the FBSD copy of wine-99.04.??.tgz (package) along with
all of the required shared libs that it wants, and ofcourse I do not have the
NBSD counterparts since they do not seem to exist. Right now tho wine is
executed but nothing ever happens, wether I specify a file to run, tell it
to debug.. anything. It just never does anything?

mez# fwine -debug /c/Program\ Files/CuteFTP/cuteftp.exe
mez# echo $?
0

Oh, fwine is a bash function which automaticly sticks in the -config dir for
me (/emul/freebsd/etc/wine.conf). Ofcourse I have tried it without the
function, tho it makes no difference.

That is a Win16 app, which I got to test the whole process, and as you can see
it goes no where and does nothing. Any thoughts on what could be happeneing
here?

I have run FBSD's ldconfig as decribed in the man page, I have installed all
the necessary libs for FBSD in the /emul/freebsd dir... I am not sure what
to do next? Is this because of threads? ... So far anything that I try to
compile on NetBSD 1.4.1 that wnats threads fails, and wine is no different, I
tried to compile it and it failed around the threads (as did the Apple
Streaming QuickTime server and TCL with threads).

thanks
phil