Subject: Re: more problems..
To: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
From: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/1999 10:43:34
Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net> wrote:

> My third question is "why does this keep happening to me. I've
> repeatedly downloaded the NetBSD 1.4.1 syssrc.tgz tarball from
> ftp.netbsd.org, using ncftp, Netscape, and the stock NetBSD ftp
> client, and each time I run into this exact same result.

> Now that I've "rm -Rf /usr/src" and restored it from syssrc.tgz
> several times over, and each time been unable to compile, I thought
> I'd better check my copy of syssrc.tgz, but cksum and md5 give wildly
> erratic results:
> Interestingly enough, cksum appears to come up with stable results for
> smaller files:
> But for larger files the results are totally wacko:

I don't know if it has something to do with your problem but I had a
similar (?) problem with 1.4.1 and 'vnd'.  I
1) created an iso image of NetBSD 1.4.1 with mkisofs
2) used vnconfig for vnd0 and the iso image
3) mounted vnd0 on /mnt
4) tested all the .gz and all the checksums of the image with a shell
script.
Everything was OK except for the biggest file xsrc.tgz (32MB). gzip gave
an error about unexpected eof.
I repeated the process several times with the same result (I knew that the
original xsrc.tgz was correct).  Finally, despite the error I copied the
image
to a CD. I tested the CD with the same shell script and xsrc.tgz was
correct.

I tried again the above steps to create an iso image of only xsrc.tgz of
1.4.1
and then xsrc.tgz of 1.4 and I always got the gzip error on the mounted
image.

Regards,
Federico Lupi