Subject: Re: Quick Question
To: binaryz <binaryz@yahoo.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/1999 19:57:18
In message <19991112015348.19572.rocketmail@web1105.mail.yahoo.com>, binaryz wr
ites:
>I'm new to NetBSD and I've been looking at a few
>different ones, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.  Can anyone
>tell me the difference between these?

Sure!  NetBSD is the cool one, FreeBSD is the popular one, OpenBSD is the
insular one.  ;-)

>I've been using Linux for over 2 years and wanted to
>get into other UNIX flavour but I can't decide which
>BSD to use or what the differences are (if any!).

There are lots of differences.  Basically, NetBSD and FreeBSD split because of
differing goals; NetBSD was looking at getting cross-platform portability
first, FreeBSD was focusing on other enhancements.  OpenBSD split off from
NetBSD a while back, mostly over conflicts between developers.

I prefer NetBSD, of course, but I'm on speaking terms with at least one person
who runs FreeBSD and I'm pretty sure he's not stupid.

-s