Subject: Re: virusses for bsd?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/1999 11:08:02
In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.991111180114.3075A-100000@ux1.ibb.net>, Reinoud Koorn
stra writes:
>I dont get it really...... what can the virus do with the data? nothing i
>guess .... you dont activate the virus.....
>Are you meaning that on that server ppl who use ms crapware store
>information
>or something? Cause if not..... i aint convinced...

That's the entire point of a *server*, isn't it?  To *serve* data?

Let's say you're running an ftp site, and some of the customers are doing
a program which has a Windows client.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to
scan that Windows client for viruses before distributing it?

Let's say you've got an office with MS desktops.  The fact is, today, they're
probably better desktops than NetBSD, at least if you need office-suite
software.  (This may no longer be true, and probably won't be at all true in
another year, but some corporate higher-up may have dictated the choice of
office suite.)

Wouldn't it be nice if the server the documents are stored on could search
them for viruses?

-s