Subject: Re: vax installing
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
From: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.NL>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/10/1999 03:12:51
On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a vax here.
> It's a fax station M38.
> There is no floppy of cdrom in it, only a networkcard.
> So i guess i have to boot the machine by network.
> I heared the way to do is by using a mopserver.
> Will netbsd work nicely on this machine? Should i check my hardware good
> to see what disks are on it and other things to see if netbsd will work
> with it? I wonder if netbsd can boot from the disks. It are to scsi disks.
> Well i guess i have to specify the hardware more detailed.
> Can anyone give me a hand putting up a mopserver with netbsd? I have
> netbsd 1.4.1 for i386 running here. I dont have a monitor with it, i have
> a VT320 terminal with it, and a keyboard plugged in the terminal.
>
> Right now, ultrix is running on the vax, btw isnt ultrix 4.3bsd?
> How can i see exactly what disks and other hardware (in detail) is in the
> machine with ultrix? Cause my plan is to wipe ultrix of the disk and put
> netbsd there. However, i got to be sure i will work on the machine.
> Any help is awesome.
> Thanks,
>
> Reinoud.

I'd love to try my hand at such a machine. I would first read:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/index.html

and some of the docs to which it refers.

Your specific question about bouting via MOP is answered in detail in
the NetBSD/VAX FAQ, to which there is a link on the page already
mentioned. Have a look at section 3.21.

And indeed it seems that NetBSD can run on your vax. Of course it
runs... :-)

Marc

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  3:08am  up   1 day,    4:40,  load average: 2.00 2.00 2.00