Subject: Re: user mount
To: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/1999 14:34:58
On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:29:12PM +0100, Marton Fabo wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	How can I specify in /etc/fstab a volume to allow non-root users to mount
> it? If I recall well it's the "user" and "users" option under Linux but
> those don't seem to work under NBSD...

4.4BSD derived systems do it in a different way: to mount a device the
user just need to have R/W permisssion on the device and be owner of
the mount point.
So if you want any user to be able to mount a device you can't use an
fstab entry, as each user need its own mount point.

> 	Another thing: how do I protect my machine in case that the server of a
> mounted nfs tree shuts down or dies? The only way I found was the "intr"
> option but automatical unmounting would be a better solution...

You may want to use amd, which will unmount unused NFS mounts. But
if the mount is used (i.e. a file or direcory is opened in it) then
intr is the only solution.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>