Subject: Questions about MSIZE, MSGBUFSIZE, NMBCLUSTERS...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/1999 14:46:00
Hello,

I need some help from someone that understands how the message buffers
work in the kernel.

I have been getting the "ENOBUFS" error message when I run some programs
and from what I have been able to determine, I need to increase the
amount of message buffers in my system.

At this point, I'm confused and not sure what to do. In the file
/usr/include/machine/param.h I see several constants: MSIZE, MSGBUFSIZE
and NMBCLUSTERS, to name a few.

What is the proper course of action to eliminate my ENOBUFS error message?

Do I want to increase the value of MSIZE (size of an mbuf)? On NetBSD
1.4.1/i386 this value is 128. On an AIX 4.2 system I have access to I
see that this value is 256.

Do I need to increase the value for MSGBUFSIZE? This value is calculated
as follows:

  #define PGSHIFT         12              /* LOG2(NBPG) */
  #define NBPG            (1 << PGSHIFT)  /* bytes/page */
  #define MSGBUFSIZE      2*NBPG          /* default message buffer size */

Or, should I consider increasing the NMBCLUSTERS value? In my kernel I
have the GATEWAY option, so the value for this on my system is 512 (as
opposed to 256 which is used for kernel's without the GATEWAY option).

Do any of these values depend on how much memory my system has? In that
case, my system has 128MB of RAM and I have 128MB of swap space.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, Inc.                | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |