Subject: Re: booting problem.
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/1999 23:10:38
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:

> I got a problem.
> I got an old i386 machine standing, i planted an 20 gig harddisk in it.
> The bios doesnt recognize it, but that's no problem.
> However, i got first freebsd standing on the first two meg and then 10 meg
> for netbsd. The bios just sees 2 meg, so this gives a problem. I cant boot
> netbsd now, cause the bios doesnt see more then two meg and the boot
> manager cannot handles this. The netbsd slice starts at the third meg
> so.... anyway know what i can do now?

  The bios probably is too old to do LBA addressing, so you need to boot
from a partition entirely within the first 1024 cylinders (well, it might
work for a little while if it is only paritially within 1024 cylinders...
until you try to boot a kernel that is past 1024 cylinders). You can
either entirely move your root partiton or create a small (maybe 5MB)
partition that just contains boot and your kernels and hardwire said
kernels to use the correct partiton as root (be sure to include a copy of
the kernel there too).

  See the install guide under "Preparing your system for NetBSD
installation."

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net