Subject: Re: Smallest set of files for Multi-user startup?
To: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/30/1999 17:32:46
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Bruce Martin wrote:

> I am trying to put the smallest set of files possible onto a system, that
> will alow the system to boot up, prompt the user for a login and password,
> and then allow the login if the user and password is correct. Can anyone
> tell me what the smallest set of files I can include is, or is there a
> document somewhere on the boot process of NetBSD?

  Hmm... I think you could get by with (see the man pages for each):
1) a kernel
2) /sbin/init
3) /etc/ttys
4) /usr/libexec/getty
5) /usr/bin/login
6) /etc/master.passwd, /etc/pwd.db, /etc/spwd.db, /etc/passwd
7) /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb && /usr/bin/passwd (only to change passwords)
8) whatever you want to happen when they login :)

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net