Subject: Re: Configuring a PS2 Mouse
To: Andrew Crossley <toast@nettrek.com.au>
From: Federico Lupi <flupi@mclink.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/1999 00:24:25
Andrew Crossley <toast@nettrek.com.au> wrote:
> Hi People,
> XiT the newest of newbies here (you'll probabely see many qustions from
> me here!!)
>
> My first ever qustion is
>
> How do you configure the PS2 Mouse under X ?
> I'm not sure which device in /dev needs to belinked - i used
> /dev/wsmouse0
> when I "startx" i get a fatal server error saying that the device is not
> configured.
> is there a file like xf86config for mice? (i thought xf86config WAS the
> config file for mice in X)
>
> Sorry for my ignorance crew
> take care
> XiT

This is my configuration:

In my kernel config file I have:
    pms*		at pckbc?		# PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
    #opms*		at pckbc?
    wsmouse*	at pms?

dmesg says:
    pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
    wsmouse0 at pms0

In /etc/XF86Config I have:
    Section "Pointer"
       Protocol        "wsmouse"
       Device          "/dev/mouse"
       BaudRate        1200
       Emulate3Timeout 50
    EndSection

ls -l /dev/mouse
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  13 Sep 27 23:46 /dev/mouse -> /dev/wsmouse0

I don't think that 'pms' and 'wsmouse' are enabled in the GENERIC kernel;
maybe you have to build a custom kernel.
If you don't want to, I think that you could use 'opms' which is
enabled in the GENERIC kernel;  although it is a PS/2 mouse it emulates
the busmouse protocol. See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.mouse

I use wsmouse and it works very well.

Regards,
Federico Lupi