Subject: Re: Interested in installing NetBSD on a laptop
To: Trucker69 <trucker69@netzero.net>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/19/1999 21:50:34
In message <000001bf1a9f$3cb9e040$d1c9fea9@aunaturel1>, "Trucker69" writes:
>Currently I am interested in trying to install linux (netbsd) on an IBM
>755CD laptop with a Teac CD40-E CD-Rom and a Xircom Ethernet+Modem 28.8k
>PCMCIA card.. Will NetBSD install on the laptop??

The modem/ethernet is probably not supported, but may work in the -current
branch.  You can pick up a cheapo ethernet for $40-50 probably.

Apart from that, all we can do is guess; you'd need to tell us what graphics
chipset the laptop uses, and even then, it's *possible* that IBM has put
special hardware in to break the compatability.  Unlikely, but possible.

I'd like to point out that "linux (netbsd)" is like saying "ford (chevy)",
or perhaps even like saying "I'd like to buy a Hyundai Rolls Royce".  Linux
is a different system.

-s