Subject: Cogent EM110TX, no link light
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/05/1999 03:56:45
I recently obtained a "never used" Cogent EM110-TX fast ethernet card.

However the link light on my switch (Netgear FS-108, port set to auto and
not force-100FDX) never comes on when the card is connected to the hub.
The card's own LEDs do come on. dmesg follows:

de0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 8
de0: Cogent 21140 [10-100Mb/s] pass 1.2
de0: address 00:00:92:96:25:12
de0: enabling 10baseT port

The card responds to ifconfig as it should, but acts as if there is nothing
connected to it (not surprising since the hub's link light is off).

This is on a CATS (arm32) system if it matters. When I get a chance I will
try putting the card in an i386 box to see if that works better.

One weirdness I noted early on is that the CATS firmware recognizes the card
as 'de0' but only after a long (30 sec?) pause, and it reports the wrong MAC
address.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com