Subject: Re: Cross-Compiling
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/02/1999 17:20:26
That would be great except for a few things. First of all, I don't see
anything in cross/ except zoularis. However, I am running sup as I write
this, so maybe it's a recent addition to pkgsrc.

Also, I am running NetBSD 1.4. If I do any upgrade, it will either be
from a cdrom or else in the form of a patch of a relatively small size. I
am sure lots of people on this list are using NetBSD at a school or
business, with a very fast connection. I am using it at home, as a router,
mail, and print server for a 2-computer (occasionally plus one laptop)
LAN, over a 33.6kbps dialup connection. Therefore the only upgrade that
would be feasible is to 1.4.1, which is, I believe, still a.out.

Last, if the cross/i386-netbsdelf package follows a naming convention
anything like cross/zoularis, it is probably intended to run on
NetBSD/i386 >= 1.5.  Even if it compiles FOR i386-netbsdelf, that won't
help me with my 1.4 system.

Sorry to be constantly raising objections, but I do in fact find your
comments (this refers to everyone who has responded) very informative and
helpful. Thanks very much.

While writing this message, I did see scrolling by on my NetBSD box's
screen a cross/i386-linux package. Hopefully that will be what I need.
I'll get back to you. Thanks again.

Jimmy Kaplowitz
jkaplowitz@softhome.net / jim@bway.net