Subject: Cross-Compiling
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1999 21:58:23
Hello. I want to cross-compile for my very slow NetBSD 1.4 box (it's a
486 40 mHz, Cyrix DLC, 8 MB RAM - works fine as a router) on my much
faster (P200MMX, 32 MB RAM) Linux box. I have downloaded the latest gcc
sources and successfully built a native compiler on that box. What do I
need to compile for NetBSD? I gather the instructions on cross-compilation
in general are correct, except I don't know how to obtain or install the
libraries I need to add to my Linux system to cross-compile for NetBSD.
Please, could someone give me a clarification of this (a quick
step-by-step would also be appreciated, though I can manage without it,
since this is my first time cross-compiling)? Thanks very much.

To give you the correct idea about my level of computer/UNIX literacy, I
have been using NetBSD for a couple of months, Linux for a little over a
year, and computers in general for more than a decade. Since starting to
use Linux, I have used UNIX exclusively (except for a bit of word
processing on a Windows laptop) at home. I have been programming for a
number of years as well, though I've only just recently begun to do
UNIX-specific programming.

Jimmy Kaplowitz
jkaplowitz@softhome.net / jim@bway.net