Subject: Re: worked....
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/28/1999 13:56:36
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:

> Okay after the build of x had also been done....
> Does that mean i upgraded all of my system? Do i then have the same result
> as installing the 1.4.1 from nothing?

Just about. There are only a few files in /etc to upgrade. You have to
be careful there not to blow away your configs. You can start with
'diff -r /etc /usr/src/etc | less', then either copy files are merge
in changes as needed. There are still a few files in the source tree
destined for /etc that are not in /usr/src/etc; the lists are in
/usr/src/distrib/sets/lists/etc.

You might also wish to rebuild your device files, as follows:

  mkdir /nudev
  cp /usr/src/etc/etc.`uname -m`/MAKEDEV /nudev
  cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV.local /nudev

Now shutdown to single-user,

  shutdown now

  cd /nudev; sh ./MAKEDEV all
  cd /;
  mv dev odev
  mv nudev dev
  rm -r odev

and reboot

  shutdown -r now

It's very important not to blow away your device files until the new
ones are in place!!!

That's all.