Subject: not so nice at sgi.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/26/1999 22:40:01
Hi All,

I looked at the silicon graphics homepage today.
While i was reading about the open source and linux support i encoutered
this. I didnt like this too much the way they tell it here:

Another model is the cooperative model, in which a diverse community of
cooperative developers work together, even if separated by thousands of
miles, to build an operating system. BSD UNIX [from the Computer Systems
Research Group (CSRG) at Berkeley] is an example of this model. BSD was an
early Open Source project and it worked very well. But then it went from
being a university effort to a commercial one. Commercial vendors
splintered it into proprietary, competitive efforts supported by different
companies fielding expensive development teams, and we got another example
of the remarkably inefficient system software world we've ruefully come to
inhabit.

This text you can find at:
http://www.sgi.com/developers/oss/sgi_resources/feature2.html

What do you think of it?