Subject: Re: upgrading 1.4-1.4.1
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/1999 15:57:19
(sorry for the delay)

>Generally the "safe" way, but 1.4.1 is just a patch release.
>So if you already have 1.4 running and the sources for 1.4:

He doesn't.

>Make sure that if you are untarring a new binary distribution into your
>system that you use the --unlink option to tar.  Otherwise, not all of
>your system will be upgraded.  This forces tar to unlink files with name
>collisions and not just overwrite them.  This allows files (like that tar
>program) to be upgraded along with everything else even if they are open.

Thank you for pointing that out, I forget to mention that!

>>5) cd /usr/src/ ;make cleandir && make build
>
>make build does the make cleandir.

Unless you have update specified in your /etc/mk.conf.

>And what's more...... getting all the source, compile it etc etc... is
>much more exiting....

It's perfectly fine to want to do it that way...I was just pointing out
that if your end goal was to have 1.4.1 on your system, it's much easier to
just do the binary install. Also, you still do NOT want to use SUP. SUP is
a tool that's good for grabbing changes over time to source files. This
makes it great for tracking -current (which your pkgsrc is), but if you're
trying to stick with 1.4.1, then with extremely few exceptions, the source
should be static...you should get it once & leave it (or modify locally
;-). For that, just ftp the sources. It would probably take three times as
long to do it with SUP, and you wouldn't have gained anything, because you
would still have the exact same source. (Frederick B. gave the URL)

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.