Subject: Re: KDE and GIFs
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@glinx.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/1999 11:57:02
On Sep 17,  5:23pm, Hume Smith wrote:
>Once upon a time (kde 1.1), kview and kfm would display GIFs.  Now they
>don't.  kview gives an error message ('Can't load file'); kfm just ignores
>them.  PNG, JFIF, and XPM (at least) work fine.  I can't right off think
>of other KDE programs that deal with general images.

I'm way behind on both KDE mail and NetBSD mail, but there's been some
concern on the part of the KDE developers about the actions being taken
by the GIF patent owner (Unisys?).  It's quite possible that the KDE
developers have disabled GIF handling as a result of that concern.  I'll
know more once I've been able to catch up on my KDE mail...

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>