Subject: Re: installing a isa modem
To: Charles Hendrie <chendrie@pclink.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/1999 13:21:37
In message <005601bf0202$40e98860$e9000bce@xwing>, "Charles Hendrie" writes:
>I have recently installed netbsd 1.4.1 and I would like to install a =
>modem. I have an IBM ISA PnP 56K modem to use. I have not been able to =
>find any documentation on installing a modem at netbsd.org. Could anyone =
>point me to some documentation to get started?

The key to understanding this is that we don't know anything about modems;
all we see is serial ports.  (Note:  If it's a "winmodem", we can't do
anything with it.)

If your modem is a "real" modem, it will just show up as another "com port";
these are probed during boot as 'com0', 'com1', and so on.  Normally, 'com0'
and 'com1' are the built-in serial ports, and 'com2' or higher would be
plug-in things like modems.

Once you've figured out which port it is, just treat it like an external modem
attached to a serial port.

-s