Subject: Re: JDK1.1.6 - problems under X?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/1999 08:07:56
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Brian Waters wrote:

> >My work on the JDK 1.2 port has been suspended, hopefully temporarily. I
> >have been informed by Sun that the new "Community Source" license prohibits
> >redistribution of *any* binaries even for non-commercial use. We could
> >redistribute the patches (Sun even volunteered to host them) but anyone
> >that wanted the JDK would have to build it themselves - not a very good
> >solution.
>
> Hmmm.... does that include the JRE?  Maybe it is not too bad to have
> developers build from source.

I second that. The package system can automatically pull down bundles
of patches and apply them. A package that builds the JDK from source
would be excellent! Much of the work you've done on i386 would apply
to other ports, and you can expect others to fill in the blanks.

> >>         - are there any plans to port JDK to any other Platforms (arm32 in
> >> partic.)?
> >
> >Not by me. I currently don't have the time but if I did, I would work
> >on a sparc port first since i386 and sparc are the platforms I use. I
> >would be extremely happy to assist anyone interested in porting 1.1.x
> >to non-i386 platforms.

I would like to see it ported to m68k. I'm not willing to, or capable
of, taking on the entire responsibility, but I would be very happy to
help set up a package, and to contribute to that.