Subject: Re: KDE and GIFs
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@glinx.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/1999 16:08:23
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Hume Smith wrote:

> Once upon a time (kde 1.1), kview and kfm would display GIFs.  Now they
> don't.  kview gives an error message ('Can't load file'); kfm just ignores
> them.  PNG, JFIF, and XPM (at least) work fine.  I can't right off think
> of other KDE programs that deal with general images.
>

> >Are there no programs linked with giflib
>

> I presume there are as giflib is a dependancy.

Ideally, but would you please check "ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/kview" to see
if libgif is truly linked in.

"wmsetbg" linked against giflib built for m68k-1.4 works fine, but the
package has been updated since that was built. Assuming that giflib is
configured into the kview build, it's still not clear from your report
whether the problem is with giflib or kview. Would it be possible for
you to verify that any of the giflib utilities work on your system?