Subject: Re: KDE and GIFs
To: Hume Smith <hclsmith@glinx.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/1999 12:53:19
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Hume Smith wrote:

> My last two installs of the KDE pkgs have refused to handle GIFs.  it
> started with kde-1.1.1, whenever that came out, under 1.4 or maybe even
> 1.3.3.  Now i have NetBSD 1.4.1/i386 and kde*-1.1.2 and giflib-3.0 for it.
> Still no GIFs.

I don't use kde, so forgive me for not knowing which programs are
supposed to support gifs. If there is a program that you think should,
you could use `ldd' to see if it's even linked with giflib. Or perhaps
'find /usr/pkg/bin -name k\* | xargs ldd | less +/gif' would turn up
something.

> I'd assumed before that it was simply an error in building the kde-1.1.1
> package; i took it only shortly after 1.1.1 was released.  No-GIF wasn't
> annoying enough for another DL... but I think it must be something else now.

First of all, what does it mean to not support gifs? Are there no
programs linked with giflib, or do the programs that are, fail.
What happens exactly when you try to load a gif, with what program?

> (I'm hoping for a better suggestion than 'strip the machine and reinstall
> everything'...  I could call M$ for that answer :)

Now, now, I've never seen anyone post advice like that here. Be nice!
Most of us are doing this for FUN.