Subject: Re: NETBSD ON IBM RT PC 115
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/1999 03:01:26
>On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 02:06:22PM -0700, e marshall wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions.  Maybe you, or someopne can help me with a
>> further problem:
>>
>> Re:  >"I don't see any information about any of the free Unix-like OSes
>> running on
>> >the IBM RT PC. I did find a nice FAQ site for the RT, but, as noted, there
>> >wasn't anything there."
>>
>> FAQ S.4 claims that there was a June 1990 release of BSD 4.3 "Reno" from
>> "Source" according to "Netnews discussions," the vendor being
>> "Academic/IBM"-whatever that means.

This is the only one I've seen. RT was running under Mach, BSD 4.3, and AIX.
There is no NetBSD port in progress. Putting the bits together to make
it run under netbsd would be a fun exercise, but not a very useful one,
since I don't think that there are a lot of those machines around. You
cannot use the BSD RT code, but I think you can use the Mach code to
start. A major problem would be the compiler... I don't think that the
gcc people have kept the rt code up-to-date. Last time when I used the
gcc was in 1992, and at that time it was buggy... Even the green-hills
compiler was buggy...

Your best bet is to find the mach or the bsd4.4 stuff.

christos